This release sees Chivalry: Medieval Warfare added to the lineup of servers (currently on sale at humble bundle). As well as a new server major, changes have been made to how LinuxGSM updates itself that should make the updating more robust and stable (see below for details). Unreal Tournament 3 has been given a review to add port query and other improvements.
All non-steam servers will now download .tar.xz files on install which not only has significantly better compression, speeding up downloads but is also faster at de-compressing (see results of my benchmark below).
Stats have been given a big update that will now report instances, installs and server hardware numbers. This will give a much more accurate picture of how LinuxGSM servers are used as many users host their game servers in many different configurations. Stats will no longer show any version before v20.3.0; this in conjunction with the update-lgsm refactor will hide old broken versions of stats and prevent weird stats being displayed. If you haven’t seen stats yet it’s worth checking out every few weeks.
Avorion has had a breaking change that will see
./avserver name becoming the galaxy name. This breaking change was done now before too many people started using avserver to simplify the way galaxies are handled. Please copy your configs to the new galaxy (probably
I was planning on doing some major work to Rust for this release. However, I decided to release v20.3.0 sooner and push Rust changes until the next release as the update-lgsm refactor was a big enough change for a new release.
Various other fixes have been applied that are listed below
Update LinuxGSM changes
Firstly multi-instance servers will correctly update themselves by comparing ./gameserver file against the modules. If the versions do not match LinuxGSM update will automatically run. A backup repo is now available so if GitHub is down LinuxGSM will use BitBucket to download updates. Functionality to prevent version mismatches when a newer version of LinuxGSM is released has been implemented so when a command is run for the first time it will always download the same version. This will prevent modules being different versions causing potential unforeseen errors.
Compression Benchmark results
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.xz | size: 1.56GB | decompress: 60MB/s
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.gzip | size: 2.03GB | decompress: 60MB/s
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.bz2 | size: 1.9GB | decompress: 25MB/s
🎉 New Features
- install: convert non-steamcmd game srvers to use tar.xz (#2851) (c884889) by Daniel Gibbs
- ut3server: add monitor query and add minor ut3 improvements (#2853) (0af223d) by Daniel Gibbs
- log: refactor log handling (#2859) (66bf5e0) by Daniel Gibbs
- pstbsserver: update Post Scriptum _default.cfg (#2848) (d96507a) by Kenneth Lorthioir
- stats: provide more accurate server numbers (#2864) (30bb11b) by Daniel Gibbs
- update-lgsm: LinuxGSM update refactor (#2884) (a76cd3f) by Daniel Gibbs
- newserver: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (#2880) (6fcd8d7) by Christian
- avorion: remove avgalaxy variable and replace with selfname (f05eab2) by Daniel Gibbs
🐛 Bug Fixes
- ts3server: improve ts3 ip parsing (#2843) (560c4d2) by nero82
- debug: correct command not exiting correctly (bd408a1) by Daniel Gibbs
- arkserver: remove all appworkshop_346110.acf if multiple exist (#2852) (216c29d) by Daniel Gibbs
- monitor: fix monitor timings and lockfile bug (#2882) (b769f2c) by Daniel Gibbs
- update: Minecraft Bedrock issue causing update to not grab the version from logs (1c6c611) by n8rade
- mods: sdtd oxide url parsing from github with jq (#2883) (7a6b9f3) by Christian
- update: ensure that tmpdir is cleared when update is found (#2890) (f40ad7d) by Daniel Gibbs
- details: correct if for bf1942 details (#2891) (2b9df61) by Daniel Gibbs
This new release added two new servers Assetto Corsa and Avorion and a bunch of new features, fixes and improvements.
For people who have multi-instance servers, all server instances will now reboot after an update. This works by monitor noticing that the server instance has not been rebooted since the previous update and automatically rebooting the instance.
For Soldat players, you may have noticed that it is now hosted on Steam, including the game server. With the assistance of one of the Soldat developers, I migrated the server to SteamCMD and added query functionality.
Further improvements to how SteamCMD functions have been completed. I had to do some research and get help from a Debian maintainer. The improvement standardized the install locations of SteamCMD to place it in the directories that are recommended by Valve. Now no matter the install method for SteamCMD it will always be in the same location.
I would also like to thank GameserverApp for becoming a LinuxGSM partner. GameserverApp uses LinuxGSM to deploy there Linux servers. Their products compliment LinuxGSM well by adding web-based RCON capability to supported game servers and various community tools to manage game servers. I will be working with Max (owner of GameserverApp) over the coming months to see how his products can best help LinuxGSM users. If you want to test out GameserverApp you can connect 5 of your LinuxGSM servers for free.
🎉 New Features
- update: multi instance servers will reboot automatically on update (#2800) (ed536ea) by Daniel Gibbs
- steamcmd: move steamcmd dir to standard location (#2822) (8f14f97) by Daniel Gibbs
- solserver: migrate to steamcmd and improve monitor (#2829) (f355275) by Daniel Gibbs
- newserver: Assetto Corsa (#2830) (f0729fc) by Daniel Gibbs
- newserver: Avorion (#2476) (2f9800e) by Christian
🐛 Bug Fixes
- correct error with fn_print_error_eol_nl (17efcab) by Daniel Gibbs
- ts3server: improve ts3 ip parsing (#2789) (fed59c9) by GrillGuth
- messages: improvements to messaging (#2792) (a3e1b53) by Daniel Gibbs
- correct and standardise name of goldsrc engine (#2803) (25cfd3b) by Daniel Gibbs
- alert: resolve bug with telegram curlcustomstring error (147057e) by RuioWolf
- validate: resolve validate not functioning for non branch (#2802) (390fc23) by Daniel Gibbs
- roserver: fix bug in _default.cfg (#2813) (3674dd5) by Christian
- correct and standardise name of goldsrc engine (#2814) (773812a) by Daniel Gibbs
- install: will not use apt steamcmd package if ubuntu 14.04 (#2820) (b30b36f) by Daniel Gibbs
- logs: resolve modulename not showing in logs (#2818) (f76cd6b) by Daniel Gibbs
- bug: gamedig not using the correct JSON object (#2821) (7a38c17) by Jimmy Maple
- travis: add various fixes to travis tests (#2827) (b88f8d2) by Daniel Gibbs
- ss3server: resolve ss3 dependency issues (#2823) (b194aeb) by Daniel Gibbs
🎉 New Features
- post-details: change default post target from hastebin to termbin (#2645) (ce2005a) by Frisasky
- debian based distros will now use the steamcmd package (ef7cdb0) by Daniel Gibbs
- update: allow linuxgsm to use steamcmd from apt (#2697) (6874f93) by Daniel Gibbs
- install: use a new linuxgsm domain linuxgsm.download for files (#2698) (0ea6a6e) by Daniel Gibbs
- newserver: Unreal Tournament 4 (#2644) (9f91d4e) by Frisasky
- newserver: Onset (#2682) (8bc25e1) by Frédéric C
- mcserver: update minecraft server to support release branches (#2696) (f2c8501) by Daniel Hultgren
- install: deprecate centos6 support and tmux source install detect (#2709) (8f44255) by Daniel Gibbs
- install: convert libstdc++6:i386 to lib32stdc++6 (#2707) (4ba7fc0) by Daniel Gibbs
- install: refactor check dependencies (#2708) (4b06363) by Daniel Gibbs
- convert commandname to modulename (#2728) (d106384) by Daniel Gibbs
- rm command best practices (#2729) (3a6f7f9) by Daniel Gibbs
- general code standards improvements (#2730) (abaa614) by Daniel Gibbs
- _default.cfg: Refactor of _default.cfg messages (#2725) (8740b34) by Daniel Gibbs
- deprecate servercfgfullpath variable (#2724) (260428f) by Daniel Gibbs
- removed libdir as no longer required (#2732) (c27a0b3) by Daniel Gibbs
- standardise config vars and fix session only monitor (#2736) (306faa9) by Daniel Gibbs
🐛 Bug Fixes
- legacy: add service name to core_legacy.sh (fb69baf) by Daniel Gibbs
- rustserver: fix typo for rust wipe code (#2634) (d09b2ed) by Frisasky
- doiserver: resolve server failing to restart without -norestart (#2651) (18c6788) by Frisasky
- nmrihserver: add symbolic links to fix the crashes related to missing files (#2668) (4a0c59d) by Stijn
- install: add code to auto accept steamcmd deb license (#2705) (45b3a4d) by Daniel Gibbs
- details: catch error should ifconfig.co fail (#2704) (0af1f5e) by Daniel Gibbs
- install: add java dependency check for wurm (#2710) (e607122) by Daniel Gibbs
- stats: fix stats bugs with language and sending stats (#2727) (466bc15) by Daniel Gibbs
- fix: fix sof2 LD_LIBRARY_PATH and standardise usage (#2731) (8a29dcc) by Daniel Gibbs
- dstserver: fix config installation (#2742) (f6c332b) by Daniel Gibbs
OVH one of the worlds largest server providers has featured LinuxGSM in a tutorial on how to install Minecraft. This highlights that LinuxGSM has become the go-to solution for quickly and simply installing game servers.
A youtuber with the channel “Infamy Studio” has created a great tutorial video on how to install LinuxGSM. Highlighting how simple it is to set up your own Linux Gameserver
Last month I reached out to Liam the author of one of my favourite Linux Gaming news and review sites. I asked him if he would be willing to do a post about the milestone of LinuxGSM reaching 100 game servers supported.
It turns out GamingOnLinux uses LinuxGSM to host there 7 Days to Die server which they use for the GamingOnLinux Twitch streams. The next day an article went up highlighting the project.
I would like to thank GamingOnLinux for taking the time to write the article which you can check out here and I also personally recommend them for your Linux Gaming news.
Check out the GamingOnLinux article here.