This release sees Chivalry: Medieval Warfare added to the lineup of servers (currently on sale at humble bundle). As well as a new server major, changes have been made to how LinuxGSM updates itself that should make the updating more robust and stable (see below for details). Unreal Tournament 3 has been given a review to add port query and other improvements.
All non-steam servers will now download .tar.xz files on install which not only has significantly better compression, speeding up downloads but is also faster at de-compressing (see results of my benchmark below).
Stats have been given a big update that will now report instances, installs and server hardware numbers. This will give a much more accurate picture of how LinuxGSM servers are used as many users host their game servers in many different configurations. Stats will no longer show any version before v20.3.0; this in conjunction with the update-lgsm refactor will hide old broken versions of stats and prevent weird stats being displayed. If you haven’t seen stats yet it’s worth checking out every few weeks.
Avorion has had a breaking change that will see
./avserver name becoming the galaxy name. This breaking change was done now before too many people started using avserver to simplify the way galaxies are handled. Please copy your configs to the new galaxy (probably
I was planning on doing some major work to Rust for this release. However, I decided to release v20.3.0 sooner and push Rust changes until the next release as the update-lgsm refactor was a big enough change for a new release.
Various other fixes have been applied that are listed below
Update LinuxGSM changes
Firstly multi-instance servers will correctly update themselves by comparing ./gameserver file against the modules. If the versions do not match LinuxGSM update will automatically run. A backup repo is now available so if GitHub is down LinuxGSM will use BitBucket to download updates. Functionality to prevent version mismatches when a newer version of LinuxGSM is released has been implemented so when a command is run for the first time it will always download the same version. This will prevent modules being different versions causing potential unforeseen errors.
Compression Benchmark results
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.xz | size: 1.56GB | decompress: 60MB/s
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.gzip | size: 2.03GB | decompress: 60MB/s
ut2004-server-3369-2-ultimate-linux.tar.bz2 | size: 1.9GB | decompress: 25MB/s
🎉 New Features
- install: convert non-steamcmd game srvers to use tar.xz (#2851) (c884889) by Daniel Gibbs
- ut3server: add monitor query and add minor ut3 improvements (#2853) (0af223d) by Daniel Gibbs
- log: refactor log handling (#2859) (66bf5e0) by Daniel Gibbs
- pstbsserver: update Post Scriptum _default.cfg (#2848) (d96507a) by Kenneth Lorthioir
- stats: provide more accurate server numbers (#2864) (30bb11b) by Daniel Gibbs
- update-lgsm: LinuxGSM update refactor (#2884) (a76cd3f) by Daniel Gibbs
- newserver: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (#2880) (6fcd8d7) by Christian
- avorion: remove avgalaxy variable and replace with selfname (f05eab2) by Daniel Gibbs
🐛 Bug Fixes
- ts3server: improve ts3 ip parsing (#2843) (560c4d2) by nero82
- debug: correct command not exiting correctly (bd408a1) by Daniel Gibbs
- arkserver: remove all appworkshop_346110.acf if multiple exist (#2852) (216c29d) by Daniel Gibbs
- monitor: fix monitor timings and lockfile bug (#2882) (b769f2c) by Daniel Gibbs
- update: Minecraft Bedrock issue causing update to not grab the version from logs (1c6c611) by n8rade
- mods: sdtd oxide url parsing from github with jq (#2883) (7a6b9f3) by Christian
- update: ensure that tmpdir is cleared when update is found (#2890) (f40ad7d) by Daniel Gibbs
- details: correct if for bf1942 details (#2891) (2b9df61) by Daniel Gibbs